Monday, October 26, 2009

Yet another maid abuse case in Malaysia

I was appalled to read in TheStar's online news portal today of yet another maid abuse case in Malaysia. Read more here : It's murder: Indonesian maid dies of alleged abuse (Updated)

This time, the poor girl wasn't as fortunate and died of her injuries despite efforts from medical professionals to save her.

The only question in my head right now is WHY on earth are people capable of inflicting such harm to a fellow human being? The injustice done just cannot be explained.

It was reported that Mautik Hani, 36, from Surabaya, had a severe wound on her leg as well as bruises on her arms and face. She was also suffering from malnutrition and dehydration. Just hearing of what she went through in the 2 months working there disgusts me. I feel angry and ashamed that THIS incident happened right here, in Malaysia.

My family employs a maid/domestic helper as well, and we put every effort into treating her as family and give her the best we can. Some people might say if you spoil these foreign workers, they will only take you for granted. Whatever you say, they are still human beings and do not deserved to be treated like slaves/dogs. Heck, I think some people love their dogs even more than their maids!

What is our society coming to? We've heard of numerous maid abuse cases in recent years, here in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, and the situation doesn't seem to be improving. Remember Nirmala Bonat, whose employer physically abused her, and even burned her with a hot iron, till one of her nipples fell off. That is one tragic story I will never ever forget, and one name that has stuck in my head ever since it happened.

My heart goes out to these abused maids and their families. Imagine having NO choice but to go to a foreign land to work and send money back home, because fate dealt you a bad hand, and you were born into poverty. Being away from home, alone, with not much of a social life, enduring hard labour, earning a meagre wage and having to bear all that abuse? It's just NOT FAIR.

I demand justice and equality. I demand that the culprits responsible for this abuse be brought to justice and be dealt the death penalty for such a heinous crime. I don't think thats too much to ask for. Let this be a lesson to everyone out there.

This really helped me reflect and realise how blessed I am. I grew up in a loving family. I didn't have to work to support my family as a child. I had a proper childhood, had toys to play with. I have a roof over my head, food on my table, clothes to cover me, a comfortable bed to sleep in. I have a good education. What more can I ask for? So often, we take the simplest things in life for granted.

Why not stop for a moment today to just thank God for the good things in your life. Slow down, be still, be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment